Minimally invasive varicose vein removal
How Does It Work?
Ambulatory phlebectomy is an outpatient procedure that involves the removal of superficial varicose veins through small slit incisions in the skin. Specialised hooks and needles are inserted under local anaesthesia and ultrasound guidance to remove varicose veins and larger veins that bulge above the skin surface.
The procedure is minimally invasive but can be completed in-room and does not require any hospitalization. The entire procedure can be completed within 30 minutes to an hour depending on the number of veins that need to be removed or the severity of the varicose veins condition.
Ambulatory phlebectomy can also be used in conjunction with other vein treatment therapies to treat venous diseases depending on the severity of the condition.
There are three steps involved in the successful completion of the ambulatory phlebectomy procedure:
- The targeted veins are outlined or marked.
- Local anaesthetic is administered into the skin.
- The targeted veins are then surgically removed in segments through small incisions that are made in the legs.
- Patients recovering from the ambulatory phlebectomy procedure are required to wear compression stockings for two to three weeks after the completion of the surgery. However, patients are able to leave immediately after the procedure has been completed and continue with their normal lifestyle.
- The compression stockings must be worn to help treat the swelling and bruising. The stockings also help to reduce the pain that can be experienced.
- It is recommended that patients remain as active as possible to promote healthy bloodflow through the legs. Thereafter, a normal lifestyle may resume but strenuous activities should be limited to at least two weeks after the procedure.
Benefits Of The Procedure
- The ambulatory phlebectomy procedure is minimally invasive and does not even require stitches.
- The procedure can be completed under local anaesthetic and general anaesthetic is not required.
- Hospitalisation is not required as the procedure can be completed in-room within an hour.
- The risk of the varicose veins returning is extremely low.
- Symptoms of varicose veins are eliminated and patients can enjoy cosmetic reprieve.