How Does It Work?
In the VNUS Procedure, a ClosureFast Endovenous Radiofrequency Ablation (RFA) Catheter is inserted into the varicose vein at the level of the knee and advanced into the groin while the patient is under sedation and local anaesthetic. Under ultrasound guidance, the catheter is carefully positioned and the varicose vein is destroyed using high frequency waves.
The VNUS procedure is a simply walk-in walk-out procedure that takes place in-room and can be completed within 40 minutes.
Prior to procedure, the specialist will map out the leg veins that need to be treated using ultrasound. After the RFA catheter is inserted in the correct position, a small mixture of saline and anaesthetic is injected around the vein.
The catheter is activated to emit heat energy that breaks down the vein wall. As the ablation takes place, the vein is closed and sealed now allowing the blood to easily flow through the healthy veins.
Experiencing a minimal amount of discomfort during the procedure is normal but there should be no pain afterwards. Once the catheter is removed, a compression stocking is placed over the leg.
- The compression stocking needs to be work for one month after the procedure. For the first week of recovery, the compression stocking should be worn during the day and night. For the remaining three weeks thereafter, the compression stocking only needs to be worn during the day.
- Patients are encouraged to walk daily to maintain healthy blood flow but discouraged from becoming involved in any strenuous activity for the minimum of a week.
- Most patients who undergo the VNUS procedure are able to return to their usual lifestyle within a day or two.
Benefits Of The Procedure
- The VNUS procedure is a simple outpatient procedure and can be completed in-room without any invasive surgery.
- Patients will experience limited interruption to their everyday lifestyle and can resume their usual activities within one to two days.
- Patients can experience long-lasting relief from varicose veins, their symptoms and cosmetic reprieve.